A pregnant woman who lost 41 pints of blood after she developed a severe form of pre-eclampsia has made a miracle recovery.

Poh Parcell, 37, and her husband Colin, 54, are now at home with their baby daughter Angolina just weeks after the traumatic culmination of her pregnancy.

Mrs Parcell lost six pints of blood while undergoing an emergency caesarean section and continued losing blood as she was put into a 12-hour induced coma in intensive care.

article-2222379-15A89968000005DC-552_306x463She had developed HELLP syndrome – a complication that affects one in five women who suffer severe pre-eclampsia – two weeks before her due date.

Poh’s organs began to fail as she suffered the loss of 41 pints of blood in total – five times the amount that is usually contained in a human body.

Hull Royal Infirmary even ran out of blood platelets, with some having to be drafted in from a hospital in Leeds 70 miles away as a team of medics including three gynaecologists and four anaesthetists raced against time to stop Poh bleeding to death on the operating table.

Colin, who rushed his wife to hospital 30 miles away from their home in Bridlington, East Yorkhire, has warned against the dangers of the deadly condition.

He said: ‘It’s a miracle. I thought I was losing both of them.’

During the early hours of October 5, Colin heard Poh banging on the upstairs bedroom floor trying to get his attention.

He found her vomiting blood and suffering chest pains and rushed her straight to hospital.

He said: ‘I didn’t know what was happening. I just knew that I had to do something. She was vomiting blood.

‘I live 30 miles away from the hospital so I wasn’t waiting for an ambulance. I got her into the car and rushed to hospital.

‘I was told later if I had been ten or 15 minutes longer, I could have lost them both.’

Within 20 minutes, Poh had been diagnosed with pre-eclampsia and was on her way to theatre for an emergency Caesarean at the Women’s and Children’s Hospital.

She then had to be transferred to Hull Royal Infirmary as medics continued working on her.

Colin added: ‘I’m still in shock with it all, I can’t take it all on board. She was bleeding from her uterus and the surgeons couldn’t find the point of bleeding to stem it.

‘It was like running a bath without the plug in. They couldn’t find where the bleeding was coming from so they just had to keep pumping blood in.

‘Things weren’t looking good but eventually they used a seaweed serum which showed where the bleeding was coming from so they could stop it.

‘The doctor told us she had never seen such a severe case of pre-eclampsia in her 35 years.’

After nine days in hospital for both mum and baby they have now returned home and are recovering well from their ordeal.

And baby Angolina Natolia Pearl Parcell, who weighed in at 5lb 10oz, has arrived in time for the couple to celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary.

The family have thanked the staff at Hull Royal Infirmary and at the Women and Children’s Unit for their life-saving efforts.

Painter and decorator Colin added: ‘They have given my wife and baby a life that wasn’t going to be there.

‘It’s also worth making pregnant ladies aware of just how easy this can happen because she had no problems throughout her pregnancy.

‘I would say to anybody out there – any partners or family members of pregnant women – you need to be there in the last couple of weeks of pregnancy.

‘This could happen to anybody and if I hadn’t been there they may not have been saved. This could happen to anybody people have to be careful.’

Leave a Reply


Required fields are marked *